Sunday, March 03, 2013

Winter Traveling

It started on Saturday February 23rd... traveling toward Oklahoma for my great-nephew's 2nd birthday. It had already snowed in Colorado, but the roads were safe and easy to travel... it took me just at 8 hours to get into Woodward, Oklahoma.

It was good to see family after the long trip; they had settled on a restaurant to have dinner - I was hoping that since it was Oklahoma that *steaks* would be an absolute ease to find great. I was mistaken - Blue Water Grill does not deliver the quality if food that I expected for the price they charge... sorely disappointed in them. I'll be submitting a Yelp review to reflect that as well.

Sunday was all about the birthday boy ... the night before we had gone to the local Wal-Mart for last minute items... holy cow - you'd have thought there was going to be an apocalypse - the shelves were rummaged with nearly nothing left, especially the basics: bread, lunch meats, chips, sweets (ok, a little more of the "okie" staples).

The house was decorated & the cake was delivered by Grandma since she was at the location where it was being done ... and since she lives like two houses away. Convenient! The cake-maker wasn't confident enough to do the writing that was requested... bummer... but the Momma took her supplies & managed a number 2 onto the cake to indicate the son's 2nd birthday. People arrived over time; cake and punch was had by all... gifts were opened... and eventually the people headed out. The day was so beautiful... it was so hard to imagine that snow was on its way soon.

And the snow it did indeed come down so very much - steadily, heavily! My sister, her grand-daughter, her daughter (not-the-momma of the grand) & I stayed the night at Northwest Inn. They had a pool so that's the reason for staying there... so that the grand-daughter could go swimming with her beloved Nanna. It is so cute just how much she loves her Nanna - my sister is blessed!

We woke in the morning to the realization of just how much the snow meant to stay... Monday was pretty much going to be at the Inn... the snow was still coming down & not looking to let up at all. We had a great continental breakfast - big kudos to them for that! Thank goodness for the indoor pool - made for great entertainment for the little one!

Tuesday turned into the same thing... the roads were closed within a good 50-mile or so radius around the "armpit" if Oklahoma ... Woodward was snow-packed! The tenants of the Inn were all showing "cabin-fever" - I know I was certainly not wanting to stay inside, but did not want to be out in the mess either. This was the worst snow-in I'd experienced since moving back to the Midwest.

Luckily, Wednesday showed enough clearance that we decided to head out - this snowstorm totally messed with the original plans of me bringing my sister back to Colorado to spend the week with me... now, we head back to her home to spend another day together. We stopped in Tulsa to an impromptu dinner visit with my sister's boyfriend. Finally... a delicious steak!!! Served with baked potatoes & a variety of veggies! Also served with tastes wines! For the first time, I finally watched Game of Thrones... definitely want to go back to the first season & catch up on this one.

Thursday had a gentle start... we headed off to Monkey Island ... nothing planned, but definitely enjoying our time together. We stopped at a cute little art studio on Monkey Island called Cloudpants - she bought me a lovely bracelet! And then we stopped at the restaurant right next door for a snack of their guacamole to go! Yum!

My original plan for Friday was to travel back again... well, that plan changed, too... we received phone calls telling us about our younger brother having a heart attack... so emotionally challenging to hear about this... the news was still good tho... they were able to get him air-lifted to the hospital in Amarillo. He received a catheter & they were able to stabilize him and he was sent home.

So... Saturday was my traveling back day... I was able to get out early - road-tripping alone that far... not so fun. One extremely sad event was on a road that I normally wouldn't have been on -- I took the wrong exit getting myself on I-35 when I needed to get onto Hwy 135. This re-route put me behind a semi-truck that seemed at one point determined to pass another car... it did so at the wrong time, and startled a black cat on the side of the road that darted out right into my path... I had absolutely no time to brake, swerve or anything... my heart broke... I killed a kitty cat. :( Ugh!

So, 11hours and 11minutes after the start... I was finally home... well, that's the "travel time" that the car logged... I had stops along the way that made the trip actually 12 hours long. But I'd never been so happy to be home and see my sweet little Mr. Ted kitty ... his purr was resoundingly loud!

Trip was long...

No comments: